Storage for small makeup items and lipsticks: Muji Acrylic 5 drawer box

by xin on February 4, 2013

Ever since I got a Micke last week, I have been thinking to further improve the space utilization of my dresser. Since my dresser is not big in depth, so it is a limitation to what drawers I can buy.

Dresser before

My current dresser setup, there are quite a couple of bottles with 20% of the content left, which is a bad habit that I am still trying to battle. I have binned them since I thought if I had left them unfinished in the first place, chances are, I will never finish them.

Muji acrylic drawer

After some measuring and consideration, I decided to get a acrylic box from Muji.

I was on the fence about getting a clear box because I can’t stand the sight of the mess when they are all cluttered, and well, transparent.

I ate my own words and decided to get one, simply because, it’s the almost perfect fit for my dresser, and it’s not the cheap plastic drawers.  And most importantly, I can still buy another to stack when the need comes.

how to modify acrylic drawer

And since transparency is not my kind of thing, so I decided to add a layer of felt to alter the look. I bought a huge piece of felt from Daiso at RM5, and it came in handy when I needed something as base.

muji acrylic drawer afrer

It was a quick work of cutting the felt, but being lazy, I cut the felt free hand, hence it’s not the perfect fit.

But it doesn’t matter, since the main purpose is to reduce the transparency, and also to serve a purpose as non-slip mat.

muji acrylic drawer modified

The ‘finished’ product.

Some may argue that by doing this, it totally defeats the purpose of getting a clear box, but that’s just me. I feel better looking at it.

However, the downside about this drawer is, it’s quite shallow. The thickest item I could fit in it is the Benefit box powder. It’s really good for lipstick/glosses/mascaras and such. But, it can’t find a Guerlain Rouge G, which is a little heart-breaking.

It doesn’t fit most of the bottle foundations, nor loose powder, which I have to keep those in another drawer.  This clear box only stores items that I use frequently or new items that I want to remind myself to use it, so it’s easy to reach.  Another thing I like about this box is – it’s less bulky and it kind of serves the purpose.

Measurement: 26cm x 17.5cm x 16cm.

Availability: Muji (Pavilion, MidValley Megamall)

Price: RM99.90

So, what’s your favorite storage system for small makeup items like this?

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

rinnah February 4, 2013 at 9:26 am

Everybody’s on an organizing kick! Makes me want to run out to Muji and buy stuff for my room… :P
rinnah recently posted..Zumba!My Profile

beetrice February 4, 2013 at 2:36 pm

LOL why you think I started on mine? :P Besides, it’s a good time to make use of that nice 10% discount at Muji going on now… *wink*
beetrice recently posted..Celebrate CNY with the January Bellabox…My Profile

beetrice February 4, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I just had a random thought – since they’re acrylic, do you think you can paste things like those stick-on decals on them? Might be a nice way to dress it up (and reduce the transparency?)
beetrice recently posted..Celebrate CNY with the January Bellabox…My Profile

xin February 5, 2013 at 2:03 pm

it might work. but, when you decide to remove the stickers one day, they might stain?
xin recently posted..Storage for small makeup items and lipsticks: Muji Acrylic 5 drawer boxMy Profile

plue February 7, 2013 at 2:45 pm

just a thought, get those acid free stickers? or washi tapes!
plue recently posted..Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013!My Profile

gio February 4, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Your posts make me want to reorganize my collection! It seriously needs it!
gio recently posted..Sunday Random Ramblings, Vol.59My Profile

xin February 5, 2013 at 2:01 pm

you should! we all should reorganize once in a while :D

Vivi February 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I bought a drawer too and have the same comment. It’s too shallow so I can’t fit in some of my taller make-up pots.

But I like it better clear because lighting in my room is very bad. I need more light to peep through the drawers. I tried cutting some cloth but I’ve always been bad with scissors so I gave up half way, haha. Now, I keep the badly cut cloth under the table to wipe the shelves whenever there’s a lot of oil residue (since I use lots of oil in my skincare routine).
Vivi recently posted..Empties: Jo Wood Organics, Ethic Bioskin, Mukti, Mekhala, Vapour OrganicsMy Profile

xin February 6, 2013 at 6:49 pm

there’s another 2-tier which has deeper drawers so I might take a look at that. i have to keep a table mat on my dresser because of the oil residue issue too! it doesn’t get absorbed into the mat, and it’s much easier to wipe and wash the mat

kerker February 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm

I was just watching a youtube video on how awesome the Muji drawers are! Wish they were available in Australia. The ones we have here are really expensive!
kerker recently posted..What’s in my makeup bag?My Profile

Beauty Box February 6, 2013 at 7:50 pm

I store my makeup in Muji acrylic drawers too! I also got an elongated “stationary holder” (for pens etc) for my makeup brushes, mascaras, eyeliners and I love it!
Beauty Box recently posted..Dec/Jan EmptiesMy Profile